The International Association of Maritime and Port Executives
A Not-for Profit Professional Development Industry Association
From the desk of Capt. Jeff Monroe, MM, AMPE
EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR-VICTORIA COUNTY NAVIGATION DISTRICT
This position is responsible for the VCND economic and workforce development initiatives, as well as its international and national image and relationships with business and community interests. The Executive Director provides leadership, strategic and tactical direction for the District. This position reports directly to the VCND Executive Committee and Commissioners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Confer with the Commission on the formulation of policy and interpret and communicate the Commission’s decisions. Maintain strong professional relationships and communication with Commissioners.
• Lead new project development and implement a port-wide maritime economic development plan utilizing county, state and national resources, including research of potential projects that fit with the District’s vision, financial viability, and resource development.
• Assist businesses in making use of financing options available through the Port and ensure there will be a positive return on investments. Gather and distributes information concerning available grant and loan programs, which may be used to enhance economic development.
• Monitor legislative and regulatory actions that might impact the VCND. Analyze the actions and develop recommended responses.
• Provide support and guidance to the Port Operations team as needed to ensure successful port operations.
• Coordinate the work of VCND consultants and legal counsel.
• Work closely with area industrial, manufacturing and agricultural interests. Maintain and revitalize strong relationships with other Port industries.
• Serve as the key representative to the media, interested organizations and the general public.
• Adhere to and ensure adherence to VCND policies.
• Provide timely and relevant information for decision-making.
• Delegate appropriately to staff.
• Use discretion in a sensitive and professional manner.
• Provides performances guidance to staff.
• Supervise, plan, assign and review the work of staff and assigned personnel. Evaluates performance and performs disciplinary measures as needed.
• Maintain good employee relations and assist subordinates in work issues. Initiate plans to motivate staff to achieve work goals.
• Function in pre or post-disaster preparedness as an essential employee.
• Performs duties and responsibilities as assigned by VCND Commission.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES
Bachelor’s degree or a related area from an accredited college or university; history of increasing responsibilities in administrative experience in a Port operation; Demonstrated oral proficiency in the English language, Possesses excellent analytical and decision-making skills, both strategic and tactical; Able to effectively accomplish goals while balancing political, financial, technical, public, staffing and timing challenges and demands; Must be an excellent communicator, both verbal and written, and be able to speak effectively to media, business and political leaders, and the general public; Creativity, patience, flexibility and a pleasant personality are essential; Must possess a valid driver’s license; After hiring, must reside in Victoria County, Texas. Relocation package offered.
Any inquiries or responses regarding this job should be directed to Julie@ednarice.com (713-594-6500)